Epic Games CEO vows to ‘fight’ Apple over ‘absurd’ changes

Date:

It looks like the latest dispute between Apple and Fortnite maker Epic Games is far from over.

Epic has been fighting Apple for years over the company’s revenue-sharing requirements in the App Store. While Epic’s antitrust lawsuit against Apple was defeated last year, many of its criticisms were reiterated in a separate lawsuit filed against Apple in March by the Justice Department and 17 state attorneys general.

Meanwhile, in Europe, the new Digital Markets Act allowed Epic to launch its own Epic Games Store on iOS and bring Fortnite back to the platform with a reduced commission to Apple. However, Apple reportedly rejected the game store twice because it said it was too similar to its own App Store, specifically the “install” and “in-app purchase” buttons.

After Epic went public on Friday with its complaints about Apple’s “arbitrary, obstructive” disclaimers and said it had reported its concerns to European regulators, Apple approved the game store but said Epic would still need to make changes in future updates.

Was everything resolved? Absolutely not. Epic later posted that it was “disputing” Apple with founder and CEO Tim Sweeney Write that the story has “taken a turn toward the absurd.”

“Apple is now telling journalists that this approval is temporary and is demanding that we change the button in the next version – which will make our store less standard and harder to use,” Sweeney said. “We will fight it.”

Presumably, this means that Epic will refrain from making further changes to its game store. We’ll see if the company sticks to it or not, and how Apple reacts to it.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related